The Beighton score is commonly used to assess for generalized joint hypermobility in both children and adults. Bouwien Smits-engelman (2010) found it to be a valid tool in assessing generalized hypermobility in children between 6 -12 (references Bouwien Smits-Engelman)
It is a test battery of five items with a maximum score of 9. Each positive score receives 1 point.
1) Have your patient sit with the arm in 80° abduction, elbow flexed to 90°, the forearm pronated and resting on the table. Perform passive dorsiflexion of the fifth metacarpophalangeal joint The score is positive if dorsiflexion is greater than 90°. Repeat the test on the other hand.
2) Have the patient sit on a chair at the long end of the table with the shoulder in 90° anteflexion, the forearm is supinated. Perform passive hyperextension of the elbow. The score is positive if there is ≥10° hyperextension. Again check both sides and score accordingly.
3) Have your patient in supine lying position and check for hyperextension in the knee joint. The score is positive at ≥10° of hyperextension. Repeat the process on the opposite limb.
4) Ask your patient to flex the shoulder to 90°, extend the elbow and pronate the forearm. Then the patient should try to bend the thumb to the flexor side of the forearm. (flat thumb aspect touches arm, not just the tip). If the patient is able to do it, it indicates a positive score.
5) Instruct the patient to bend over and try to touch the floor with flat hands while keeping the legs fully extended.
For scores 1-4 one point may be gained for each side, so max. 2 per item if left and right are positive, and only one point in total for the last item. This results in a maximum score of 9.
Usually, a score of 4 or more indicates GJHM. Smits-Engelman recommends a cutoff score of 7 specifically for children between 6-12.
21 OF THE MOST USEFUL ORTHOPAEDIC TESTS IN CLINICAL PRACTICE
What customers have to say about the Assessment E-Book
The Assessment E-Book This book helped me in my studying for my exam and in assessing my first patients. Awesome! Also for beginners!
The Assessment E-Book It’s an amazing Compilation! Congrats to all the work you have put in there. You’ll propably find all the test’s you’ve been looking for with propper explaination and source to doublecheck for you self. definetly a must have for every student, but it will also help an experienced practioner. Im looking forward to the lifelong updates on the topics.
Great work, guys
The Assessment E-Book A must-have for all physiotherapists, osteopaths and manual therapists. The authors conducted an extensive research on assessment tests in manual therapy. I find it very easy to read. The more I read the more I learn. Thank you!
The Assessment E-Book This book is great! It is very structured and detailed. It works extremely well on my Macbook and iPad.
The Assessment E-Book The best way to spend 80euros. Totally worth it. The amount of work you put behind this must have been absolutely huge. Every physical or physiotherapist should own it.
Congrats guys you’ve done an incredible job.
I’ve learnd a lot of new things and my approach to therapy in general have totally changed.
In one word: amazing. Keep going guys ! Best wishes from france.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.